An inverter changes the DC power produced by your solar array into AC power that you can use in your home or business. Choosing the right one will have an impact on your solar system’s performance, durability, and longevity. This article will help you understand how to choose the right solar inverter for your home or business and which factors are most important when comparing models from different manufacturers and suppliers.
Factors Affecting Selection of an Inverter
There are a number of factors that will determine which type of inverter you should buy, and some of them include.
1. The amount of power you need to be supplied by your system
2. The number of panels that you are going to use will determine how much power is needed, and therefore which type of inverter you should buy.
3. The type of system you are using, if you are planning on using a grid-tie system, then you will need an inverter that is designed specifically for such a purpose.
4. The cost of electricity in your area, is another important factor as it will have a direct impact on how much money you are going to save.
5. Battery Backup: If you are facing several blackouts in your area, then it is a good idea to get an inverter that has compatibility with battery backup. Such systems will ensure that there is no interruption in power supply during such instances.
Single Phase Solar Inverters
If you have installed solar systems to meet your home's energy needs, then you will need a single-phase grid-tie solar inverter. A single-phase grid-tie solar inverter is used to convert DC power from your PV panels into AC power that can be fed into an electrical grid. There are various types of these inverters available in the market based on your requirement. The main difference between them is their size and output capacity.
A 2000w single phase grid tie solar inverter can be the best choice if you are looking for a small and compact solution. If you need higher output capacity, then you will have to go with a larger model. However, it is important that you select an inverter that matches your PV system's power rating as well as its voltage and current requirements.
Three Phase Solar Inverters
If you run a business or a small factory that requires large amounts of power, then you’ll want to use three-phase solar inverters. Three-phase is used in commercial buildings and industrial applications, and it is able to carry larger loads than single-phase systems. You can go with 5000w three phase grid tie solar inverter if you have higher demands on your energy needs. It will allow you to generate more electricity from your solar panels. It will also be easier to sell excess electricity back into the grid because they are designed to handle heavier loads.
You can select a single-phase or three-phase grid-tie solar inverter based on how much power you need as per residential or commercial use.
Grid-tied & Off-grid Solar Inverters
If you are a homeowner or a small business owner and looking to install a solar energy system, then choosing a suitable inverter is one of your basic steps. A grid-tied system sends excess power from your solar panels back into the grid and gives you credit on your utility bill. And when there’s not enough sunlight, it still provides power directly from your local utility company. An off-grid system is designed to operate completely independent of a public utility grid. If you are living in an area that doesn’t have reliable access to electricity, then an off-grid system may be a good option for you.