While opening the two different company files in QuickBooks, users sometimes get a QuickBooks error the file exists. The error shows up on the screen with a message displaying, “The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that is not currently being used by another program or a read-only file.” The error appears while doing various operations like paying scheduled liabilities, downloading payroll updates, and many more. If you are also struggling with the QuickBooks Windows error the file exists, follow the complete blog to know what prompts the error and how to fix it.
Did you require immediate assistance to resolve the QuickBooks error the file exists? Connect with the QuickBooks technical support team by calling us on our toll-free number +1-888-704-1357
Triggers for QuickBooks Windows error the file exists
Here are a few common reasons that trigger the error:
- QuickBooks program is not updated to the latest release.
- Improper Windows Firewall settings and faulty internet settings.
- Poor internet connection leading to corrupt QuickBooks installation.
- Operating QuickBooks with insufficient permissions.
- Inappropriate User Account Control on Windows.
Related article:- QuickBooks keeps crashing
Advanced Troubleshooting Solutions to Fix QuickBooks printing the file exists error
Solution 1. Update QuickBooks to the latest release and run it as an administrator
- Close all open company files, then exit QuickBooks and click the Windows icon.
- Select the Windows Start menu, locate the QuickBooks icon, and right-click it.
- Select the Run as administrator option and go to the No Company Open screen.
- Select the Help menu, choose Update QuickBooks Desktop, and click the Options tab.
- Click Mark All, then Save and select the Update Now tab.
- Tick the Reset Update checkbox, select Get Updates and wait till the update finishes.
- Once the download completes, open QuickBooks and follow the prompt steps to install the update.
- Finally, restart your computer.
Solution 2. Grant Full Control Access to the QuickBooks user
- Locate the QuickBooks Desktop icon, right-click it and choose Open file location.
- Tap the Backspace key once, right-click QuickBooks 20XX, and select Properties.
- Select the Security tab, then click Edit and Add. Select Everyone, then OK, and choose the Full Control option.
- Click Apply and now choose Users instead of everyone.
- Open Control Panel, click the search bar, and write Control Panel.
- Open the Control Panel app, type UAC in the search field, and select Change User Account Control Panel.
- If you want to be notified, move the slider to Always Notify to turn on AUC. Drag the slider to Never notify to turn off UAC.
Read this short article on how can you remove the QuickBooks Error H202
Solution 3. Register QuickBooks again with the help of the reboot.bat file
- Close QuickBooks, right-click the icon and click Properties.
- Select Open file location. Within the folder, find the reboot.bat file and right-click it.
- Select the Run as administrator option and wait till the command prompt window scroll to QuickBooks.
These were the most effective troubleshooting solutions to resolve the Hopefully, they will work for you to fix the issue. If the problem continues even after following them, get assistance from certified QuickBooks professionals by dialing +1-888-704-1357
Read more:- QuickBooks Error PS038
Also, go through these short guides: