Australia Parent Visas - Types of Australian Visas for Parents

Australia Parent Visas - Types of Australian Visas for Parents
5 min read
09 August 2023

Conditions for Parental Visas in Australia You might need to apply for an Australian parent visa if you have kids living there. If their child is an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident, parents are entitled to immigrate to Australia. In this situation, your child may be a biological, adoptive, or stepchild. So, if you want to visit your child who lives in Australia, don't be afraid to apply for a parent visa in Australia.

However, before submitting your application, be sure you meet the eligibility conditions. Even while it would seem simple to get a parent visa, if the conditions are not met, you risk having your requirements rejected.

Parent Visa Types 

Learn about the various visa categories if you're thinking about applying for an Australian parent visa so you'll know what's expected of you. Australia currently offers at least six different sub-classes of parent visas. These subclasses are further separated into contributing and non-contributory parent visas, which are two separate categories.

Parent Contribution Visa (Subclass 173 and 143) 

If a parent has a child who is an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen, they may immigrate to Australia under the terms of the contributing parent visa (subclasses 173 and 143). Parents are permitted to live in Australia for at least two years with a subclass 173 parent visa. It is not possible to extend or renew the visa. But within two years of arriving in Australia on a 173 visa, the applicant can submit an application for contributory parent subclass 143 if they want to extend their time there.

A parent visa under subclass 143 allows for permanent residency in Australia. Both types of visas need the child to sponsor the application. However, if the child is under the age of 18, the parent may receive sponsorship from:

  • The child's spouse, who must be at least 18 years old, a permanent resident of Australia, a qualified citizen of New Zealand, or an Australian citizen.
  • A child relative of the or the child's legal guardian.
  • A guardian or relative of the child's spouse, if the child's spouse is under 18 but an eligible New Zealand citizen, Australian citizen, or permanent resident of Australia.
  • An organization from the community. However, in this instance, the applicant must give the immigration department legitimate documentation of their affiliation with the group. If the applicant is unrelated to the organization, they must submit a written guarantee from the senior representative stating that the applicant will receive help from the organization once they reach Australia. 

The Parent Visa's advantages

Having one of the two subclass parent visas has many advantages. As a holder of a contributory parent 173 visa, you are qualified for the following advantages:

  • You are permitted to do all study and work for two years in Australia.
  • You are eligible for Medicare, Australia's program for covering medical expenses and care.
  • After receiving their visa, the applicant has two years to travel to Australia frequently.

Contributing Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 884 and 864)

If their child is an Australian citizen, a permanent resident, or qualifies for New Zealand citizenship, their elderly parents may live in Australia under the terms of this visa. Applicants are permitted to reside in Australia for two years without an extension or renewal when they apply for the contributing aged parent visa subclass 884.

Even so, the applicant may submit an application for subclass 864 before the temporary visa subclass 884 expires if they wish to extend their stay.

Benefits and eligibility requirements for subclasses 884 and 864 are identical to those for contributory parent visas (subclasses 173 and 143).

Subclass 870 of the Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visa

This parent visa category was introduced last year to help parents who want to stay with their parents in Australia for an extended period of time. At first, parents were only permitted to visit their children for a few days 

Parents can now travel to Australia temporarily while their permanent visa application is being processed thanks to the sponsored parent temporary visa subclass 870. Additionally, applicants can now extend their stays for up to five years instead of just a few days to spend quality time with their loved ones. 

The good news is that both parents can simultaneously be sponsored for this form of visa. Sponsors must, however, be able to assist their parents financially and offer lodging throughout the stay term. Additionally, they ought to be able to cater for their medical costs. 

Need Help?

You can look at the available parent visas and start your application if you want to stay with your children in Australia for a while or permanently. The good news is that despite the pandemic, relatives can still visit their loved ones because parent visa Australia is presently open.

For tailored migration advice based on your personal conditions, feel free to contact us at 61-3-96630944 our registered migration agent in Melbourne

In case you have found a mistake in the text, please send a message to the author by selecting the mistake and pressing Ctrl-Enter.
Manish Paul 2
Joined: 1 year ago
Comments (0)

    No comments yet

You must be logged in to comment.

Sign In / Sign Up