If you're married to a German citizen, or if you were born in Germany, you can order your marriage or birth certificate online.
This is a great resource for expats who need to prove their marital status or birth in order to get residency permits or other official documents.You can also order certified copies of death certificates and other documents that are helpful for obtaining visas and other official paperwork.
In this article, we'll go over everything you need to know about ordering marriage/birth certificates online in Germany.
How to Get German Birth Certificate Online?
If you're looking for a German birth certificate, there are a few things you need to know. First, what is a German birth certificate?
A German birth certificate is an official document that lists the full name, date of birth, place of birth, and parents' full names of a person born in Germany. In order to get your hands on a copy of your own or someone else's German Birth Certificate, here are the steps you'll need to take:
- Gather all pertinent information. This includes the full name (including any middle names), date and place of birth, as well as the parents' full names. If you don't have this information readily available, it may be necessary to contact the local registry office ('Standesamt') where the person was born. They will be able to keep records of births that occurred within their jurisdiction and will be able to provide copies of certificates upon request (though a fee may be charged).
- Make contact with the appropriate authorities who can assist with your enquiry-again depending on where in the world you currently reside. This may vary, but in Germany, it is usually the "Bundeszentralregister," which is part of the Federal Statistical Office ('Statistisches Bundesamt'). They have offices in most major cities, but if not, they should at least be listed online, so finding their contact details shouldn't prove too difficult. Once found, give them a call or send an email outlining what it is exactly that you require and how best to get it (i.e., whether a statutory declaration would suffice or if a certified copy would be needed).
- Depending on their response to step 2 above, they will most likely request additional documentation from you before proceeding, which may include providing proof of identity as well as copies of other relevant certificates and documents, such as those relating to parental status, if applicable.
Once received, they should be able to process your application quickly and mail a certified copy of your requested GermanBirthCertificate directly to your home address within a few weeks.
What Documents are Required to Get the Certificate?
If you were born in Germany, you may be eligible to receive a German birth certificate.
You can apply for your German birth certificate online through the website of the Federal Office of Civil Registry (Bundesamt für Standesbeamte).To apply for your German birth certificate online, you will need to provide:
- Your full name and date of birth
- The names of your parents (including mother’s maiden name) and their dates of birth/marriage
- If applicable, your spouse’s full name and date of marriage
- Your current address and contact information
- A copy of your valid photo ID (e.g., passport or driver’s license)
- Payment for the processing fee (credit card or PayPal accepted)
Once you have gathered all of the required information and documents, you can begin your online application. The entire process should take about 15 minutes to complete.
After your German birth certificate has been processed and issued, it will be mailed to the address that you provided on your application. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.
How to Get German Marriage Certificate Online?
If you are planning to get married in Germany, it is important to know how to get a German marriage certificate online. This document is required as proof of your marriage and will be needed for various legal purposes.
The process of getting a German marriage certificate online is actually quite simple and can be done in just a few steps!
- First, you will need to gather all of the necessary documents. These include your birth certificates, passports, and any other relevant documentation such as divorce papers or death certificates, if applicable. You will also need to have these documents translated into German if they are not already in that language. Once you have all of the required paperwork together, you can begin the process of applying for your German marriage certificate online.
- The next step is to create an account with an online marriage certificate provider like My German Expert. With this account, you will be able to fill out an application form which asks for basic personal information about yourself and your fiancé(e).
- After submitting the form,you pay a small processing fee and then wait for approval from the site staff. If everything goes well, you should receive login credentials within 48 hours which allow access into their portal where additional instructions on how to get your German Marriage Certificate await!
- Now that you have your login credentials, the next step is to fill out the online application form. This form will ask for basic information about you and your fiancé(e) such as full names, dates of birth, addresses, etc. Once you have completed the form, you will need to upload all of the required documents. These should be in PDF format and can be uploaded directly from your computer.
After uploading the documents,you simply submit the application and wait for it to be processed. You will receive an email notification when everything has been approved and your German marriage certificate is ready to download.
The Bottom Line
If you're looking for information about how to order your marriage or birth certificate online in Germany, we hope this guide has been helpful!
We know how important it is to have the right documents in hand when you're planning your trip abroad, so we made sure to include everything you need to know.
If you haven't already, be sure to check out our other guides on getting a German driver's license and learning German.